-->

January 21, 2016

Smashbox Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer: Review + Swatches

Smashbox Insta-matte lipstick transformer

Our beloved glossy lipsticks are crying as the matte lip is trend is still going strong. You've probably spent quite a bit of money on matte lipsticks, or wishing that your favourite shade came in a matte version.

Well, Smashbox seen that gap and decided to ease our wallets with one product: Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer.

Smashbox Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer, $26 at Sephora
Give your lipstick a matte makeover - instantly! This gel transforms any cream lipstick into a comfortable matte finish. GET IT ON: Apply generously over cream lipstick using finger until a matte look is achieved. FYI: Not for use over glosses, lacquers or balms.

Smashbox Insta-matte lipstick transformer

The gel texture of this formula reminds me quite of bit of their Photo Finish Foundation Primer. It's transluscent and had a silky feel to it. On the lips, it feels a little cushion-y. While if offers no moisture, it doesn't dry out the lips like a matte lipstick typically tends to do.

In regards to application, I suggest DO NOT apply generously. Seriously, a little goes a long way and you don't want to make a mess out of your lips and end up like The Joker. I also suggest to gently tap the gel onto your lips instead of gliding/rubbing it on. You'll make less of a mess that way.

Lipstick
L to R: essence Blush My Lips, Tarte Enamored, Chanel Canotier, Clinique Raspberry Glacé

The Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer doesn't give you the lasting power of a matte lipstick. It lasted about 2.5 hours for me (that is after eating, drinking my juice and talking with about 30 people within that time). It didn't seem to transfer onto my bottle, but I wouldn't trust this to leave my guy's lips lipstick-less after a smooch either.

Another downfall, I wouldn't call the after effect matte. It's more of a satin finish. Matte is very dull, no shine at all. Satin has a bit of a sheen to it, and that's what this does to a very glossy lipstick.

Smashbox Insta-matte lipstick transformer
Top to bottom: Clinique Raspberry Glacé, Chanel Canotier, Tarte Enamored, essence Blush My Lips

So while you don't get the horrible drying effect of a matte lipstick, you also don't get the longevity or the true matte effect. But if you're not quite sure if matte lips are for you, are looking for a way to tone-down the glossy-ness of a lipstick or want to simply experiment with your current lipsticks, this might be the product for you.

 


4 comments:

  1. I tried this at work the first time I put to much on lol but for me I feel like this product is ok lol I would rather just get a matte lipstick :) Good review!

    Kayla
    Sheer Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting & innovative new lipstick from Smashbox but what about the ingredients ? Can you add or send me a pic of its full ingredient list please ?

    XXX
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I threw out the packaging already. Is there something in particular you're wondering about?

      Delete